In addition to experimenting with new sculptural forms
and attempting to make plates and cups
, I've also been working on glazes and surface. (Yes, it's been quite a month!)
So, I started by adding texture to slabs with various found objects and then cut them into 4" and 6" square tiles.
Then, I covered the whole surface with 3 layers of terra sigillata. (Whoops forgot to snap a photo here.)
came brushing on underglazes and colored slips before
scratching/drawing into the surface with needle tool. After the drawing
was done, I went back over a few areas with some slip trailing. Here
they are pre-bisque firing...
Here's some post-bisque firing...
the bisque fire, I layered several of my current sculptural glazes,
brushing them on with a more painterly approach. Pre-cone 04 glaze
After firing to cone 04...
Still haven't figured out how I will incorporate this surface into my sculptural work, but that will come with time and more experimenting. Here's a little piece I made to see how the surface would wrap around a 3D form.